Thursday, July 7, 2011

SCENE 40:
Aphrodite’s magazine. They are doing another photo op. Athena sips a cup of coffee, Aphrodite walks up to her from outside, she is wearing Hera’s ring.

Aphrodite: How is it going?

Athena: Quicker than the last one. We might get done before lunch this time.

Aphrodite: Good. And how are you doing?

Athena: Better. Quite well. Thanks for letting me stay here, it’s a good respite. I should probably go and find a new lifeline shortly.

Aphrodite: I don’t think you’re quite ready for that yet. I’d really like to have you stay here for awhile longer until you can overcome certain issues.

Athena: I’m sure I’m not going to magically get over a lifetime of problems.

Aphrodite: Possibly not. But I consider myself an expert at sexuality, and what you need is an expert. You’re not going anywhere until you can give someone a kiss without shuddering.

Athena: That could be awhile.

Aphrodite: I have all the time in the world, my dear. Although, it seems to me that your memories are more to do with a fear of male sexuality. Let’s try a little experiment. (she leans over and kisses Athena, who seems a bit stiff but then relaxes). Any bad images that time?

Athena: No. But I think you’ve driven the entire staff to distraction. (Everyone else in the room is looking at them open mouthed.)

Aphrodite: They’ll get over it. Speaking of getting over it, that wasn’t very much effort on your part. Why don’t we try again? (she leans over again and this time Athena is a bit more responsive). See, practice makes perfect.

Athena: I suppose there are worse things to have to work at.

Aphrodite: That’s the spirit. We’ll make a player out of you yet.

Athena: I’m still not sure that’s necessary or advisable.

Aphrodite: Darling, we’ve really got to get that stick out of your ass and move it a little forward where it belongs. (Athena’s eyes open in disgust) Oh, don’t look so shocked. Come along, they can finish this shoot by themselves.

Athena: I’m not quite sure what you have in mind.

Aphrodite: It’s not really my mind that’s working. Now you’re just going to have to admit you’ve been beaten, Athena. I tend to get my way, so you may as well just give in now. Save your pride for when it matters. (Athena stands there for a long pause. It is a battle of wills. Aphrodite has no particular interest in Athena herself, but know what is good for her, and Athena refuses to entirely give up her comfortable past – but eventually, Aphrodite wins.)

Athena: Have you ever heard the word ‘no’?

Aphrodite: It sounds familiar, but it’s never been directed toward me.

Athena: I wish I could be the first, but you’re very persuasive. (she leans in and kisses Aphrodite)

SCENE 41:
A children’s camp. Hebe is a camp counselor and is crouching in front of a young girl in a wheelchair.

Hebe: The first night is always the hardest, because you miss your family, but by tomorrow you’ll be so busy you won’t even think about being homesick.

Girl: I don’t understand why my mom and dad want me away for so long. It’s three weeks.

Hebe: I’m sure they think it will be a wonderful thing for you to be among kids your own age who understand what your life is like. They’re not trying to get rid of you, is that what you’re worried about?

Girl: Yeah. It just seems like they don’t want me around this summer.

Hebe: That couldn’t be it, because they’ve asked about visiting you here over the next couple weeks. We had to tell them that we usually don’t want parents around, or it will keep you from making friendships at the camp, and that’s why you’re here.

Girl: But I’m never going to see these kids again.

Hebe: Maybe not, it depends on what you want. You can always come back here next year if you like it, or you can write to your friends during the year. Sometimes it’s more important to just go out and meet people than it is to try to choose them because you think they’re going to be your best friend or something. Give everyone a chance, you might be surprised who you end up being friends with.

Girl: Why can’t I make friends and still have my parents around?

Hebe: I don’t know. I really haven’t thought of it that way. But, you know what, your family is always going to be there, and they already know what a wonderful person you are. So don’t you think it’s time that you showed new people what a neat person you are? Give them the same love and energy that you give to your family, and you can really make a difference in their lives. And there will still be plenty of love saved up when you see your family again.

Girl: Yeah, I know. I just miss them already. Do you miss your family?

Hebe: (taken aback) Yes. Yes, I do. But at the end of the summer, when you all get to back to your homes, I’ll get to go back to mine.

Girl: Don’t you wish they were here though?

Hebe: No. I love my family, but I’m here to spend time with you and all the other fun new friends that I’ve found. My family is going to do the same things they always do, all summer long, at the same jobs, and here I am, lucky enough to be by the lake and meet new people and try lots of new things. I’m going to have a lot of stories to tell them when I come home.

Girl: So will I. I hadn’t thought of all the stories I’ll have.

Hebe: See? I bet you miss your family less already.

Girl: No, I still miss them the same, I’m just going to think about it less so I can have fun.

Hebe: Yeah. I know exactly what you mean. (she gets up and begins to push the wheelchair, a big grin pasted across her face.)

CREDITS BEGIN. SWITCH TO OLYMPUS, OUTSIDE THE FRONT GATES, WHERE A GORGON IN A BUSINESS SUIT GETS OUT OF A SENSIBLE TOWNCAR AND PULLS A SIGN OUT OF THE BACKSEAT. SHE POUNDS THE SIGN INTO THE GROUND IN FRONT OF THE GATES. THE SIGN SAYS ‘FOR SALE, THESSALY REAL ESTATE’.
SWITCH TO THE RIVER STYX, OUTSIDE OF HADES, WHERE THE NEW BOATMAN IS ATTEMPTING TO ROW ACROSS THE RIVER. A LINE OF DEAD BODIES WITH GOLD ON THEIR EYELIDS STAND WITH ARMS FOLDED ACROSS CHESTS, TAPPING FEET IMPATIENTLY. THE NEW BOATMAN TRIES TO GO A LITTLE FASTER AND ENDS UP UPSETTING THE CANOE AND DUMPING THE FOUR SITTING SOULS AND HIMSELF INTO THE RIVER. ON THE OTHER SHORE, CERBERUS SHAKES HIS HEAD AND PISSES ON THE PILE OF COINS STACKED UP ON THE GROUND. HE THEN RUNS FARTHER INTO THE CAVE WHILE THE BOATMAN AND SOULS DRAG THEMSELVES, DRIPPING, OUT OF THE RIVER. HE USES HIS OAR AS A WALKING STICK, WHEN HE GETS ON SHORE HE TRIES TO BREAK IT OVER HIS KNEE. FAILING THAT, HE HURLS IT OVER HIS SHOULDER, WHERE IT PLOPS INTO THE WATER, THE REST OF THE CREDITS ARE LAID OVER THE BLACK RIVER, RIPPLING AND FLOWING.

No comments: