Thursday, July 7, 2011

SCENE 25:
Several months later. It is Christmas time. Zeus and his band have infiltrated through Athena’s connections and have managed to take over much of her country. The rest of the world is accordingly skeptical, suspicious, and otherwise unfriendly. There is a general feeling of war in the air, and most people seem to be hostile rather than giving this holiday season. The other Gods have gone back to their lifelines, however unwillingly. They are preparing for the annual Christmas dinner, to be held at Poseidon’s beach resort. Perhaps a montage of scenes to establish the passage of time. The Gods are restless, dissatisfied at the promise they found in friendship and purpose, now cut off from them. Zeus’ band are equally torn – only Zeus seems unconditionally happy, the rest are suffering from their own doubts. Ares obviously feels guilty about his treatment of his mother, Athena worries about the possibility of success, Hermes is growing steadily paranoid about the Fates, Hebe wishes to be on ‘safe’ Olympus, Heracles is venting his unhappiness with adultery, and Eilithea is growing so fascinated by the human lifestyle she wishes to live it for herself.
On the other side, Demeter is still desperate for a companion, Hestia is worried about Hera, Hera is bottling her frustrations too much, Poseidon even seems sick of the beach bum life, Hades is desperately wishing to get up on earth, Persephone is afraid she is losing her personality, Aphrodite is constantly toying with the idea of joining Zeus but can’t really be bothered yet, Artemis is feeling the need to see Gods other than Eris, Apollo longs to be the trusted mediator but finds no one is interested in dialogue, Eris is in her element but feels no joy from it, Hephaestus finds less and less ability to shut himself away from everyone and his problems, Dionysus feels even more trapped in his powerless lifeline, Psyche and Eros are happy with themselves but feel unconnected with the other Gods, Nathaniel wants to become more involved with the politics of Godhood, Cephallenia wants to go to Earth and live a little, and Minos and Charon are eager to be somewhere they can party. Nemesis alone walks by the world with a smile on her face.
The offices of Athena. She is still Prime Minister, but now is a God in that role, so she says, even if others are less convinced. Ares, Athena, Hebe, Hermes, Zeus, Heracles, and Eilithea are gathered in a lavish hall.
Ares: It seems ridiculous that they’re having a celebration for us and we can’t even join in.
Zeus: My son, my son. That would be ungodlike, we must maintain our separation and distance from the humans so they learn to respect us. Besides, it is at times more enjoyable to watch others than to be with them.
Ares: We used to spend Christmas with the other Gods, and it was very cozy.
Zeus: It is the Roman Saturnalia, Mars. Remember that we are Romans again. And we can be perfectly cozy here.
Ares: Right, Jupiter. Just the seven of us, when we’ve spent all of our time together for the past however many months. I think we need some lesser gods to play with.
Zeus: That will come later.
Hermes: Would both of you please be quiet? I’m trying to repose.
Eilithea: Then go in another room. I’ll scream if I have to sit here in silence and watch them sacrifice a bunch of fucking cows. This is so dull! What’s the point of being a God if it’s boring?
Athena: The rewards, one hopes, will justify the energy we must expend to get there.
Zeus: Exactly so. It will not always be just cows and parties. We will have the whole world.
Eilithea: Oh, the whole world to sacrifice cows! And we still can’t go and talk to them, because that’s ungodlike.
Zeus: What would you prefer?
Eilithea: I want… I want to go live like a human. I do. I’m going to join mum and the rest. This is awful and I hate it. I can’t stay like this anymore.
Zeus: You are leaving me? You are giving up your position as a trusted and faithful daughter?
Eilithea: Yes! We aren’t getting anywhere, you must be able to see that. Athena, you know very well we will never get more than a small following outside this country of yours.
Athena: That is a possibility, but one hopes it is not the only one.
Ares: If we fight, we will win. It may take time, but we will have the victory.
Eilithea: Wonderful. Have you seen Nike down here yet? Because I haven’t. I don’t see any sign of victory, sorry. I just see boring bullshit and the seven of us becoming catatonic and I hate it. I’m leaving. Hebe, will you come with me?
Hebe: I can’t leave.
Eilithea: Why not? You hate it here as much as I do.
Hebe: No. No, I just… I’m not thrilled with this, but, if I can’t go back to Olympus I have to stay here.
Eilithea: Why? Do something for yourself for once. Why do you have to be such a wimp about it?
Zeus: Do not treat your sister in this manner, when she is being dutiful and obedient. You have sworn to leave, then leave. You are dead to me.
Eilithea: You’re dead to everyone. You treat us all like shit, and then act so surprised when someone wants to stand up for themselves. Well, great, you’ve managed to piss me off. Chalk up another one, King of the Gods. You will be nothing at the end of this, you will be all alone. You’ve ruined us all, I hope it makes you happy. (she disappears)
Zeus: Wench!
Heracles: Hebe, what is this about you being unhappy?
Hebe: I’m not, I’m just not… I just prefer to be on Olympus. I feel safer there.
Heracles: What is there to worry about here? The humans can do nothing to you. You do not wish to be here with your husband?
Hebe: You seem to be happy with the human women.
Heracles: I am like my father, I indulge in a variety of pastimes.
Hebe: I know. And I don’t treat you the way his wife treated him, so perhaps you could be a little bit more understanding of me.
Heracles: What do you want from me?
Hebe: I don’t even know anymore. It can’t possibly matter.
Hermes: No, I should think not. Why don’t you two go and have your fights somewhere in private? Must we be always privy to your dirty laundry?
Zeus: Enough, all of you. We accomplish nothing by bickering like children. Fighting should be a focused and purposeful activity. Speaking of fighting, I would agree with Ares. We must fight to gain more power. The humans have not chosen to worship us, and we are foolish to continue giving them this choice. We must press forward now that we are strong. You will raise an army, and Ares will lead them into battle.
Athena: But they do not wish to go to war.
Zeus: That is not our concern. They will do what they are told.
Athena: I was voted into office to protect the people, not to lead them to their deaths.
Zeus: You are a God, and you will do what it takes to spread our worship. Raise the army. You will quickly find that young men seek battle even if they do not know it themselves. They will fight.
Ares: It’ll be best, Athena. I will take care of the war, not many of ours will die.
Athena: You have never fought a war where nuclear weapons were a possibility.
Ares: I have several times, you forget that I have been on earth these years.
Athena: You are right, I forget. I will… I will ask that the army be raised. But it will be voluntary, I do not want anyone drafted.
Zeus: For now.
Hermes: Heracles, do you want to go down and find some juicy virgins?
Heracles: Not right now.
Hermes: She’s already mad at you, might as well enjoy yourself.
Heracles: I said not right now. I’m going for a walk.
Zeus: Make yourself invisible, they should not see you so sulky and weak.
Heracles: Fine! (he disappears).
Zeus: What is his problem? You would think something were my fault.
Hermes: Like the fact that we’re all rock cold bored when we could be up on Olympus partying away?
Zeus: Go back to Olympus if it is your wish, I have no time for your whining. Go.
Hermes: If you insist. Ta.
Ares: (to Athena, quietly) Well, Merry Christmas Eve, anyway.
Athena: (faint smile) And you as well.

SCENE 26:
Poseidon’s beach resort. The Gods are gathered for Christmas Eve. All have arrived, and are hanging stockings again the dining room wall buffet. Wrapped presents are heaped under a gigantic tree in the corner, as well as under and on top of the piano and under the stockings. The tables are done up nicely as well. It all looks very cozy, and the Gods themselves are trying very hard to have fun and be joyful, but it is easy to see they are heavy of heart.
Hestia: What am I supposed to do with an armful of tinsel?
Poseidon: I don’t know, you’re the interior decorator.
Prometheus: I think we call them spatial engineers.
Hestia: Cute. Make yourself useful and hold it up to the wall there.
Artemis: Have you thought of modeling, Theus?
Nathaniel: Alright, we need some more work on the centerpieces.
Aphrodite: We need more glitter stuff. Have you got another bag?
Nathaniel: No, we didn’t buy anything, just conjure it or something.
Aphrodite: It doesn’t work that way. (narrows her eyes and looks angry, then laughs and snaps and the tables have loose sequins all over them).
Cephallenia: Very nice. We need more candles now (she starts to distribute them).
Eris: I get to light them.
Hephaestus: That’s not a good idea. (Eris sticks her tongue out at him, they tussle)
Dionysus: Shouldn’t we have poinsettas along the floor?
Poseidon: I knew I forgot to buy something. And it’s damn hard to conjure plants.
Hera: I’ll run to the store. Demeter needs a few last minute things for supper.
Apollo: I’ll come, too. Extra pair of hands never hurts.
Hera: Fine, (to Poseidon) keys?
Poseidon: Do I trust you driving my car?
Hera: I’ll go and steal one if you don’t, doesn’t bother me either way. (Poseidon gives her the keys)
Apollo: (as they exit) You wouldn’t really steal a car, would you?
Hera: When did you lose your sense of humor? (they both look irritable)
Hades: A few souls in torment and this place would feel just like home.
Minos: I’m sure you could give Poseidon a few for a Christmas present. Nathaniel would love a few to torture.
Eros: What are we doing with the stuffed reindeer?
Persephone: I was thinking we could put them on the presents on the piano. Make it more like Santa’s sleigh.
Psyche: And less like the Roman Saturnalia that’s getting celebrated far from here.
Artemis: Let’s not talk about them.
Psyche: It just doesn’t feel quite the same without Ares.
Poseidon: Don’t mention his name when Hera comes back. You are none of you to bring anything up in front of her.
Hestia: We can’t stop thinking about something that bothers each and every one of us. What else could possibly be on our minds?
Dionysus: Everybody, it is Christmas. Let’s keep sight of why we are here.
Aphrodite: Since when were you the peacemaker?
Dionysus: Look, bitch, I have nothing but tension and hatred in my human life, I came here to relax. So let’s all just get along if it kills us.
Eros: (to forestall Aph’s response) Hey, hey, no fighting. Look, the problem with Zeus is not going to go away if we ignore it, but there’s no reason to dwell on it. It’s ripping us into pieces. Let’s try to focus on each other and not worry about who isn’t here.
(Eilithea has appeared in the corner of the room).
Eilithea: What about those of us who want to be here?
Persephone: Eilithea, are you here just to say hello or to stay?
Eilithea: To stay. Things with dad aren’t so good right now. And I want to try a human lifeline. Does anybody mind if I invite myself to Christmas?
Poseidon: Don’t be silly, you’re family. There’s no such thing as invitations for a family dinner.
Eris: Welcome home, sis.
Hephaestus: Mother has gone on an errand. Don’t worry about her, though.
Artemis: She’ll be happy to see you. But since you’re here, make yourself useful. Stuffed reindeer on the piano or hanging tinsel, take your pick.
(they all keep decorating. Eilithea looks unbelievably happy).

SCENE 27:
Grocery Store. Apollo is pushing the cart and Hera follows behind, scanning every single shelf like a compulsive.
Apollo: We have to talk about it, everyone’s thinking about it, it’s just not going to disappear.
Hera: I know, but why ruin a perfectly good Christmas? Then it would just mean that Zeus had won, with all of us just obsessed over what he’s doing all the time… I wonder if I should pick up more coffee. Do you drink tea? I suppose people need tea.
Apollo: Hera, we came here for four things and the cart is full.
Hera: Everything’s closing for two days in about twenty minutes. We have to plan ahead.
Apollo: Fine.
Hera: Look it’s not going to change if we all talk about it. We’re not all suddenly going to reach closure by sharing our anger. We’d just sit around all night bitching about Zeus and I’ve spent enough of my life doing that. I just… I don’t even want to think about it right now. We’ll be fine after dinner, when everyone is
Apollo: Drunk?
Hera: Whatever works. I’m not going to complain. How about marshmallows for the hot chocolate? Oh, shit, I didn’t get any hot chocolate. Hold the cart here. (Apollo looks like he’s going to strangle her. Hera runs to the next aisle and as she is squatting and choosing a brand, we see a pair of leather pants stop. As Hera stands the camera pans up to Hermes with a very satisfied smirk on his face.)
Hermes: Fancy meeting you here.
Hera: Hermes? What are you doing here? (she clutches the HC to her chest like a talisman)
Hermes: Don’t worry, the poor sport isn’t around. Just me. I’m so bored up there, I figured I could come and have a good time with my favorite queen. (he pinches her bum, she looks a but flustered but is thinking more about how to get to the chips before closing time)
Hera: Lovely, then. You can come round to the beach house. I’ve just remembered we need another few cartons of juice.
Hermes: Why hurry? They aren’t closing in another (he waves his arm) hour. Time enough for a pleasant shopping experience. (He leans in to kiss her, her arm seems to be trying to find a place to go holding the HC cannister. She settles for cupping it behind her back formally. Apollo drives the cart and sees them. He rolls his eyes and comes up to them).
Apollo: You’re going to make the milk curdle doing that. Can we get our things and get out of here?
Hera: Fine. (gives Hermes an intrigued look and goes to shop)

No comments: