Thursday, July 7, 2011

SCENE 37:
A movie premiere. Apollo and Demeter step out of a limousine and are immediately swamped by photographers.

Demeter: I’m surprised they want to take pictures of this old rag.

Apollo: You look gorgeous.

Demeter: Thanks. You’re looking rather well yourself. Honestly, are we ever going to get to the door?

Apollo: I’d rather not. I have a feeling this movie isn’t going to be very good.
Demeter: That’s because you made it before we started going out, and you weren’t very inspired. Your next movie will be far more passionate.
Apollo: Well, I should hope so, since you’re going to be in it.
Demeter: I know, I’m still in shock. Who ever would have thought of me being an actress?
Apollo: You’ll be fine. You’ll be better than that, I’m sure you’ll be superb.
Demeter: You would think. One can’t keep the company we do and not learn when to pretend an awful lot. Pretend that you like someone, pretend you don’t mind the man of your dreams shagging the Goddess of Lust, I’m used to it.
Apollo: I… didn’t ever realize that bothered you.
Demeter: That’s because you’re oblivious. Everyone was in love with you, they probably still are, and you’ve never noticed.
Apollo: Everyone? I hardly think I’m that lucky. But, if you don’t mind me asking, who else should I know about having a err, crush on me?
Demeter: I’m not going to tell you, then you’ll go and break their hearts as well.
Apollo: No, I think not. Anyway, it’s probably better that I don’t know.
Demeter: Oh, I don’t think it matters either way. Let’s see, there’s Athena, but even you know that, Eilithea, Poseidon, Persephone was rather infatuated before she met Hades, Aphrodite isn’t exactly letching on you for professionalism, and I do believe that you’ve gotten my granddaughter to want to grow up extra fast.
Apollo: Aii. That’s a bit disturbing, actually. She has about three hundred years to go before I would even want to think about that.
Demeter: What, and then you’d dump me for my own granddaughter? You cruel, cruel man. (she sighs cutely, Apollo looks slightly uncomfortable at her assumption that they would be dating that long but rallies gamely)
Apollo: You know me, my father’s son.
Demeter: Now, don’t say that or I’ll never let you out of my sight. Not that I have any reason why I should let you out of my sight.
Apollo: That might be a bit difficult for our careers.
Demeter: Not if we co-star in everything together
Apollo: Ahhh. Well, I guess I won’t be doing any war films for awhile.

SCENE 38:
Hera’s office. She sits on the couch with a cup of tea, reading the paper. Hermes is stretched out along the couch with his head in Hera’s lap, wearing nothing but olive corderoys. Ares is half sitting on the desk, wearing a black suit with black shirt and tie, apparently engaged in no other activity than looking badass. Minos sits at the desk, typing away on the computer.

Minos: What’s the yield again?

Hera: Four and a half percent.

Minos: Not very good, comparatively.

Hermes: It’s bigger than zero, so you’re making money. What more do you want?

Minos: To make a lot of money.

Ares: Some things are more important than money.
Minos: Like what?

Hermes: Having fun.

Hera: (putting down the paper) Spending time with family.
Minos: No, that’s something you have to pay me money to do.
Ares: Are you referring to your earthly family or your godly family?
Minos: Well, I was in Hades and hated it, and now I’m here. You figure it out.
Hera: And how are you settling into earth life?
Minos: Just fine. What can I buy with a million pounds?
Hermes: Everything. Get me a new jacket, will you? Mine’s worn out already.
Ares: Why can’t you buy it yourself?
Hermes: I hate to shop.
Ares: You hate to move.
Hera: Boys, boys. Don’t fight. And Hermes, you’ll have to move, I have a meeting in five minutes.
Hermes: (sitting up) Nag, nag, nag. I may as well be back on Olympus.
Ares: If that’s the way you feel about us, go ahead.
Minos: Would you two give it a rest? I’ve got a headache. What are you fighting over anyway? You’re supposed to be best friends.
Ares: We are. We’re just practicing at being lawyers. These lifelines are a bit new and awkward.
Hera: You’ll grow into them. I can’t imagine two people better suited to an occupation devoid of morals, ideals, or low paychecks.
Ares: Thanks.
Hermes: Flattery will get you everywhere. (reaches over to kiss her cheek, Minos and Ares smile privately)
Hera: Well, tra-la, I’m off. Minos, are you meeting Nemesis for lunch again?
Minos: No, dinner, actually.
Hera: Oooh, a date. Be a good lad then and book us all a table somewhere expensive for lunch. You’ve got a million quid to blow, after all. (she leaves)
Hermes: So we have to go work now, don’t we?
Ares: It would be best. Put on your suit. (Hermes waves his hand and is clothed in the same all black ensemble, hair pulled back.)
Hermes: Let’s go sign some contracts. (to Minos) How do we look?
Minos: Incredibly frightening. If I didn’t know you, I would piss myself.
Ares: They do say the pen is mightier than the sword.
Minos: Precisely. Just keep your pen away from my bank account.
Hermes: No problem. Get the jacket in medium, will you?
Minos: No problem. (they grin at each other)
Ares: Let’s go ruin some people’s lives in the name of law.

SCENE 39:
Zeus sits behind a large desk. A pretty blonde secretary sits next to the desk, taking notes.
Zeus: You will get back to me with the cost of the DJ?
Secretary: Of course.
Zeus: You’re settling in very well to all of this. A far cry from being a lovely Oceanid on Olympus.
Secretary: I try to adapt. The lesser gods are here to serve.
Zeus: To an extent. Your only real duty is to your godhead, and this isn’t quite the same. But I appreciate your help.
Secretary: Thanks.
Zeus: I’m quite good at this public relations game. In a few years I ought to be able to start some rather wicked smear campaigns against the other Gods.
Secretary: Is there a need for that?
Zeus: Perhaps not, but it will be refreshing. I like to keep them on their toes. And the media is the best way to do that in this world. A few well placed articles will tumble Hera’s bank, close up Poseidon’s resort, end Apollo’s movie career. Sometimes power must be exercised for its own sake, and this is one of those times. Also, I need them separated from their loci of control among humans in order to return to my original plans. This world will be mine again. I can be patient, but not inactive.

Secretary: Well, I’m sure most of them deserve it after abandoning you.

Zeus: Yes, for all of their claims of devotion and family they are easily misled as to where their obligations lie. But that, too, is easily rectified by the careful use of pressure. All I must do is wait until that pressure can be applied. I digress, did we get the costs on the flower arrangements?

No comments: